Wednesday, April 11, 2012

the day I got cupped


My friend Tiffany and I always have the most interesting conversations. While we were out to lunch last weekend, she brought up a New York Times article she recently read. Here's the talking point that really stuck:
"One major finding is that spending money for an experience — concert tickets, French lessons, sushi-rolling classes, a hotel room in Monaco — produces longer-lasting satisfaction than spending money on plain old stuff." 
Anyway. Long story short: I decided to have an "experience" after lunch. I logged onto Groupon Now! to find out what spa offerings were available that day. I was looking for something relaxing... like a massage or a facial. When I came across cupping, I was intrigued. I called to set up an appointment and had one question: Is it painful? "No, no. I have lots of clients coming in all the time. It's not painful," the woman responded. Hm. Okay then.

Fast forward two hours later. I was in Toluca Lake, lying on a massage table waiting for my cupping experience. When the cupper (I'm not sure what else to call her) came into the room, I got very nervous. She opened a small box of glass spheres. She smoothed the first cup onto my back and suctioned all of the air out until my skin was pulled tight into the sphere. She attached another seven cups to my back and left the room. I was instructed to relax for the next 20 minutes. It was tough to get comfortable, but once I did, It was awesome.

The photo above is the aftermath of the cupping experience. The whole point of cupping is to release toxins and relieve stress. To be honest, I felt a little loopy the rest of the day. My back definitely felt more relaxed, which made it totally worth it. I'm not sure if I would ever do this again (I think I'd just go for a massage), but I'm so happy I gave it a try!

2 comments:

  1. I’m so glad that this AWESOME NY Times article encouraged you to try a new experience, although cupping was not exactly what I had in mind when I sent this to you (I was thinking lavish trips, island vacays, front row seats to Drake concerts and the like, but okay). HAHA.

    I think I would go for a massage over cupping though, too. I’ve tried it once, and I have only word word to describe the experience: “Aiiite.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Love your blog, Morgan! I don't know if "cupping" would have been what I had in mind either for an experience, but there's a first time for everything :) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete